Friday, May 16, 2008

Rings and Things

I must admit to you that I had to force myself to approach and even attempt to organize my jewelry drawer. But it was assigned during the life-changing course I’m taking on simplifying my life – and although my jewelry drawer seemed too small to matter, Debbye Cannon who teaches the course, was passionate that we start our efforts with ourselves and move in widening circles from there.

So I took a deep breath and opened the drawer. Truthfully, I had stopped even going in there unless it was for a safety pin or a pen (I know, I know, they aren’t jewelry and don’t belong in there to begin with) – I had simply resigned myself to wearing the same gold hoop earrings every day. Not because I love them, although I do – but because I could not find a mate for any of the beautiful gemstones or artsy hanging earrings I had accumulated over the years.

My other jewelry wasn’t in better shape either. My various necklaces seem to be engaged in some kind of hand-to-hand combat the minute I’m not around, twined and wrapped around each other in what looks like a bad pile of silver and gold linguini. And “good” rings and bracelets are all jumbled up with costume beads and a few deco pins and scarf clips (remember those?) that I inherited from my Grandmother (and treasure more than all the good stuff, as you can imagine).

So armed with a heap of encouragement from the master organizer herself and a few great ideas, I began to sort through the chaos and open the myriad of trinket boxes and fancy dishes that housed my treasures. I even found a couple of long-since matured savings bonds in there – enough to pay for my organizing course. HAH!

An old tea chest from the Bombay Company proved to be the perfect place for sets of earrings (yes I had two of almost everything) and matching bracelets and watches. Who knew I owned so many fun things? And it also fit neatly into a dresser drawer – a perfect personal fit, since I always felt “jewelry boxes” were an invitation for theft. (I hope I don’t find any of you rifling through my sock drawer next time you’re here!)

Item after beautiful item took their place, and day after day, I find myself enjoying things I’d misplaced or forgotten – right down to a pair of silver earrings with black onyx stones that my mother bought me at the mall when I was eighteen.

Quite simply, Debbye Cannon was right. By starting with organizing myself first, I have uncovered the most priceless thing of all – time. I am no longer rifling through a crazy basket of cosmetics to find the three things I use every day or searching through unmatched socks for my favorite black knee highs. This may seem silly to those of you who actually throw out those things or who find time to switch your clothes seasonally – but I bet there are a lot more working moms (especialy those working from home) who live like I do everyday – balancing precariously on the edge of to-do-lists and trying to squeeze in time to shower.

All jokes aside, the best gift that has come from taking Debbye’s Shortcut to Serenity course, has been ROOM TO GROW and peace-of-mind uncovered one-piece-at-a-time.

If you need a few “shortcuts” yourself – or a couple of BIG solutions to everyday mayhem, you can pick up Debbye’s book at http://www.organizingwithoutagonizing.com/ or email her and reserve a spot for her next tele-seminar at debbye@debbyecannon.com.

Peace, Mary Agnes Antonopoulos (Mary Vetell)

Visit all of my blogs:
http://www.lifeinmonroeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.freelancemaryagnes.blogspot.com/
http://www.fatgorgeousass.blogspot.com/
http://www.organizingwithoutagonizing.blogspot.com/

*****************************************************************

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home